EU Educational Programs
The EU program SOKRATES promotes transnational cooperation in the area of education. Between 2000 and 2006 the program has a total of 1,850,000 Euros at its disposal. All educational institutions from pre-school to adult education qualify for the program. In addition to the 25 EU member-states, the three EFTA countries, Iceland and Norway participate along with the associated countries Bulgaria, Rumania and Turkey.
SOKRATES is composed of the subprograms COMENIUS, LINGUA, and ARION.
COMENIUS 1: School Partnerships
- School Projects: multilateral school partnerships for European education projects
- Foreign Language Projects: bilateral educational projects for the promotion of foreign language acquisition - primarily for the lesser known languages of the European Union and for vocational schools.
- School Development Projects: multilateral school partnerships for European education projects and school development
COMENIUS 2: Education and Further Training of School Personnel
- European topics and foreign language oriented cooperative projects for the development of curricula, further training courses and learning materials
- Internships and study excursions for new teachers
- Assistantships for young foreign language teachers as COMENIUS language assistants in schools
- Professional mobility projects for educators in teacher education and ongoing training to participate in topical or language courses
COMENIUS 3: Networks
- Establishment of COMENIUS Networks in the area of School Partnerships and European Cooperation Projects for teacher education and further training.
LINGUA: Language Courses and Acquisition
- LINGUA 1: Promotion of foreign language acquisition
- LINGUA 2: Development of supporting materials for foreign language courses
- Study trips for political decision-makers in the area of education
The Europe School has either cooperated or continues to cooperate in all of these areas. The first COMENIUS-Project developed between schools in Spain, Great Britain, Germany, and France in the area of Technology, focusing on "renewable energy". An ongoing project - in cooperation with Italy, Belgium, and the Czech Republic - relates to the subject area Art and deals with the topic "the aesthetic representation of people". Throughout the various grades in our school, pupils work with the diverse European topics in art. Examples include "Goethe in present Europe", a collection of collages from the fifth grade German and Art classes, puppet figures in the national colors of the participating countries in reference to the "Triad Ballet" by Schlemmer, self-made installations of space and material collages on the subject of "violence", "single-track thought", etc. In working groups and special conferences, teachers from our school prepare the curricula for this project and then discuss it with the respective partner schools. The newest project concerns teacher education in European countries. The multilateral cooperation always has proven productive for the participants and the school as a whole.
Cooperation with non-educational European Institutions
Ongoing contact is maintained with:
- the European Parliament through participation in Euroscola
- the domestic Members of the European Parliament
- the Embassies of European countries, and
- the Coordination Office of the European Union in Germany.
The Europe School Bornheim is a member of the following organizations:
- Jean Monnet Society (France)
- NEOS (Network of European-Oriented Students)
- EUSA (Europe School Association). A strong contact and exchange of ideas also takes place with these organizations.